JAMES ELMES PUBLICATIONS
Supplied By The Royal Institute Of British Architects
- Annals of the fine arts 1816-1820
- The Arts and Artists 3v 1825
- A General and Bibliographical dictionary of the fine arts 2 ed. 1823.
- Hints for the improvements of prisons. 3rd edition 1829
- Lectures on architecture 1823
- London and its environs in the nineteenth century 1829
- Memoirs of the life and works of sir christopher wren 1823.
- Metropolitan improvements (1827-1829).
- A Practical treatise on architectural jurisprudence 1827
- A Practical treatise on ecclesiastical and civil dilapidation 1829.
- A Scientific, historical and commercial survey of the harbour and port of London 1838.
- Sir Christopher Wren and his times 1852.
- Survey of the harbour and port of London 1838.
- A Topographical Dictionary of London 1831.
- Autobiography of B.R. Haydon, ed. T. Taylor, 1, 1926, 248-9
Avery architectural library, Columbia University
Bal. Drawings collection
Bal. Mss. Collection
At the royal academy 36 architectural designs were exhibited from 1801-1842.
JAMES ELMES ARCHITECT/ENGINEER
19 College Hill, Cheapside, London 1801,1806, 1814.
11 Gutter Lane, London 1802
9 Tavistock Place, London 1810 do. and Kentish Town, London 1818.
29 Charlotte Street, Portland Place, London 1820.
8 Regent street, London 1824.
9 St. Bride`s Passage, London 1828.
LIST OF REFERENCES
O.S. Memoirs (p.20,21) A. Day and P. Mc Williams
Copy of a survey for a line of navigation between Lough Erne & Londonderry (private collection).
Dictionary of Land Surveyors by Peter Eden.
The British Museum Archives
Gardiner`s Dublin. A History and Topography of Mountjoy Square and environs..
Concordia 1995 (the Strabane Canal).
Dictionary of National Biography
The Builder Magazine April 19, 1862.
London Lithographic Printers 1800-1850 by Professor Twyman
A Directory of Lithographic Printers.
Journal of the Offaly Historical & Archaeological society
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis
The Fair River Valley by J. Bradley
Thanks to the following for their kindness, assistance and tolerance with the numerous, relevant and never ending queries during the initial research.
The Royal Institute of British Architects
The British Architectural Library
Museum of London. Archive section.
- Bride`s printing library
The National Museum of Science and Industry.
The Institution of Civil Engineers, London. Archive service