Another name which merits distinction is D. Redman regarded as the first English Lithographic printer. It was with his creative help and knowledge that experiments were made with a view to updating the printing process to equal the advance of German lithography.
The first successful English lithographic production was a plan of Bantry Bay in 1808, an Irish map. This map is held by the British Museum.
It was Alois Senefelder who first introduced and invented the lithographic press in 1798. The press he used passed from Andre to Vollweiler and finally to the Quarter-master-general`s office in Whitehall, London. Redman was discovered and employed there but eventually decided to go into business for himself.
On doing this, he then set up the first lithographic press outside of London.
In 1819 he was awarded a silver Isis medal by the Society of Arts for a lithograph drawn on English stone. It was also D. Redman who was responsible for keeping lithography alive in England at this crucial period and this served as a vital and important link between the very first lithographic printers and the future masters of the art such as Chagall, Toulouse Lautrec, Munch, Picasso etc.
The Map Lithograph
Although this map lithograph is more than twenty- three years after Senefelder`s discovery, nevertheless it is a most unique example of the early lithographic work. Surprisingly, it contains subject matter relevant to Ireland and bears local relevance to the town of Strabane and its environs. Unfortunately, this proposal on the line of canal connecting the Erne to the Foyle was abandoned, possibly for financial reasons initially and later the obvious technological advancement in communication–the progress of the railway.
However, the 1821 lithograph contains the original Strabane Canal line which joined the port of Londonderry. Although not named on this survey, the original two locks, known as Devine`s Lock and Crampsie`s Lock, are included, as are the adjoining tributaries which helped to raise water levels.
This professional map survey was sent to G. Montgomery although by whom is not clearly defined but possibly by either James Elmes or the Earl of Blessington. Montgomery was a local surveyor originally attached to the Earl of Erne`s estate as the contracted engineer who was based in Lifford, County Donegal. He was sent the map to carry out any adjustments or corrections which might be deemed necessary. (Refer to manuscripted items on the bottom of the map).